Re: Hypertext or HyperText

From: Susan Lesch <lesch@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 14:28:38 -0500
To: site-comments@w3.org, dbg.64b@gmail.com, Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Hello, Juha,

> I noticed this while inspecting W3C home page (http://www.w3.org/).
> You have XHTML defined as an abbreviation for Extensible HyperText
> Markup Language, but HTTP is defined to be abbreviation for Hypertext
> Transport Protocol.
> So why is HyperText capitalized in XHTML but not in HTML?

I used the capitalization in the XHTML {1] and HTTP [2] specifications.
XHTML 1.0 is based on HTML 4. It looks like HTML changed from Hypertext
to HyperText between 2.0 [3] and 3.2 [4]. I don't know why and am
sending a copy of your note to Dan Connolly who may or may not know.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/
[2] http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2616.txt
[3] http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1866.txt
[4] http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html32.html