Re: Valid CSS

From: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@iinet.net.au>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 12:47:57 +1000
To: National Editor <publisher@3m7.net>
CC: www-validator@w3.org, site-comments@w3.org

National Editor wrote:
> Greetings.
>
> As per a response received
> at http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/site-comments/2004Oct/0015.html has
> the compliance group considered having CSS documents strictly validate
> standards-compliant which utilize _no tables_ in the html layout?

 From the linked site-comments message:
# My suggestion is that W3C modifies the validation process and that NO
# CSS will validate when tables are in use within the HTML docs.

I certainly hope not.  Tables have a legitimate purpose in HTML, but it
is unfortunate that their use is abused by so many.  However, it is
impossible to programmatically determine whether or not a table has been
used legitimately or not, so this would not be possible.  Such a task
would also be beyond the scope of the markup validator, which is to
determine the validity of a document according to the appropriate DTD.

As for the CSS validator, it does not examine any HTML markup beyond
looking for references to stylesheets to validate, and would have no
idea about the use of tables, let alone whether they have been used
correctly.

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/