Re: Standard web procedure

From: Ian B. Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 16:55:04 +0100
To: "Mauffette,Guillaume" <guillaume.mauffette@surete.qc.ca>
Cc: site-comments@w3.org
On Mon, 2004-03-01 at 16:32, Mauffette,Guillaume wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have looked more then once for an official W3C rules on file naming
> for the web and i have never found it.
> Can u tell me where i could find such info?
> Maybe u should have a section called something like Web Standards or
> Web practice or Web Practice Uniformisation...

Hello Guillaume,

Can you say more about what you mean by "file naming"?
The URI is the identifying mechanism of the Web. I don't know that
there are good practices in the Web Architecture for how you
name files on your server. URIs that you create will be
easier to use if:

a) Files names are short
b) File names are in ASCII

Let me know if there are other issues you're thinking about.

Tel:                     +1 718 260-9447