Is the W3C endorsing Google?

From: Ben Lewis <blewis@atsincorp.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 13:33:23 -0400
To: <site-comments@w3.org>
Is the W3C endorsing Google by including the search engine on it's home
page?  If so, why Google?  Because it's the best?  If it is the best,
how do you know it is the best and by what measure? Even if it is the
best, should the W3C be in the business of endorsing a particular
proprietary search technology?

Other than this small issue I am a strong supporter of W3C activities.
I also am a big Google user, though I have become concerned about it's
level of dominance.  I have found that http://google-watch.org provides
some useful perspective on the matter.

 - Ben Lewis