Re: PRE element in list archives

From: Xan Gregg <Xan.Gregg@jmp.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 13:19:37 -0400
To: <site-comments@w3.org>

Looks like forcing iso-8859-1 didn't help for the wrapping on the list archive.  Trying the same message with utf8 (again from outlook 2002).

xan

>> ...The problem doesn't come from
>> the pre, but from broken mail clients that allow to have lines bigger
>> than 78 characters.

> Can you elaborate on that a little?  So we can know what we
> (and our mail clients) are doing wrong and can avoid the problem
> in the future?

Just to add some information (and test my theory by posting to the list), I have noticed that the problematic messages (no soft breaks) from Outlook 2002 seem to only occur when the encoding is us-ascii.  If I force the encoding to something else like utf-8 or iso-8859-1 by either including a non-ascii character or telling Outlook to not auto-select the encoding, then it seems to wrap correctly with soft breaks.

xan