Re: [Fwd: [Moderator Action] Re: Specifying Of Both Background AND Foreground Color]

From: Michal Suchanek <suchanek@dec59.ruk.cuni.cz>
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2003 17:22:58 +0100
To: site-comments@w3.org

Dave Allen Barker Jr wrote:
 > > Well done!
 > > Only two weeks later, and a qick paruse has shown the issue I raised
 > fixed by the fine folks at the W3C.
 > > Ah, the power of the stylesheet...
 > > > My default foreground and background colors for web browsing
happen to
 > > be unconventional (foreground: #cccccc, background: #000000).  With
 > > scheme, I found areas of the W3C's site serve me poorly, as they do not
 > > follow the W3C's own recommendations for accessibility.  The result is
 > > poor (light gray on white) (or with particular colors, zero) contrast
 > > between foreground and background colors.
 > >
 > > I refer to the lack of implementation of item 9.1 "Color Contrast" in
 > > the "CSS Techniques for Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 1.0" (
 > > http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG10-CSS-TECHS/#style-color-contrast ),
 > > specifically the last line, "Ensure that foreground and background
 > > colors contrast well. If specifying a foreground color, always
specify a
 > > background color as well (and vice versa)."
 > >
 > > While composing this email, I found examples of this nonconformance in:
 > > http://www.w3.org/
 > > http://www.w3.org/TR/WAI-WEBCONTENT/
 > > http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG10-CSS-TECHS/
 > >
 > > Although the site (well, at least the homepage) bares only WAI-AA
 > > conformance, and the issue I'm raising is Priority 3, is there a good
 > > reason it hasn't been implemented?  I applaud what the W3C is trying to
 > > do, and would like to see you take the lead in implementation! :^)

Thanks for fixing the above mentioned pages at W3C. It made my
navigation thtrough the site a bit easier.

However, while browsing the W3C web site I found these pages do not set
colors correctly (or set them in a way my browser does not understand):

Background color:

Text (and link) color:

Link color:
http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/ (link color)

Visited Link color (only)

Most problematic pages have only link color unspecified but most
keywords in recommendations link to their definition which makes the
whole text very hard to read.

Michal Suchanek