Re: XHTML validation and help docs

From: Ian B. Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 04:29:14 -0500
To: Aaron Benjamin Snobel <absnobel@learn.senecac.on.ca>
CC: site-comments@w3.org

Aaron Benjamin Snobel wrote:
> I think xhtml is a good idea but w3 is sure as heck making it hard for
> us, webnewbies, to code!
> friggin impossible to find answers to problems. like <ol> in a
> transitional dtd just doesnt work. something to bout not being inside an
> object,map,iframe,ins,del startag....etc . what the hell is this
> stuff?!!?! I dont need it. I just want an ordered list damnit. And I for
>     one certainly cant make heads to tails out of the
> http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/dtds.html
> the dtds normative section blows. my brain hurts just looking at and my
> sincerest apologies to the creator(s) just reading it thru gives me a
> headache actually writing that would give me an aneurism.
> anyhow thats my 2 cents and nested flame :)

Hi Aaron,

I tend to use HTML tidy [1] to convert my HTML to XHTML (and to
discover validation errors). Are you authoring by hand or using
an authoring tool such as Amaya [2], which creates valid XHTML?

  - Ian

[1] http://www.w3.org/People/Raggett/tidy/
[2] http://www.w3.org/Amaya/
Tel:                     +1 718 260-9447