Re: HTML Accesskeys

Hello, Richard,

Though I am not completely sure, I believe that the W3C list best
suited to this question is the WAI User Agent Accessibility Guidelines
Working Group list <mailto:w3c-wai-ua@w3.org>.

The list archive has some fairly recent discussion of access keys.

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2003OctDec/

This is the group's home page:

http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/

At 15:37 +0000 11/19/03, Richard Walledge wrote:
>Dear W3C,
>
>I was wondering if you were aware fo the emerging standard
>scheme for accesskeys? It has been suggested by the UK
>government, and in the absence of any alternative scheme, this
>has rapidly become a worldwide standard, adopted by council,
>military, healthcare and academic.sites in the UK, as well as
>government sites in Australia, educational sites in the USA and
>Africa, and more recently, commercial sites in Canada and on
>mainland Europe.
>
>http://www.hmso.gov.uk/accesskeys.htm
>http://www.clagnut.com/blog/193/
>
>Aside from the clear advantage of inter-site consistency (meaning
>that people are more likely to know and use the keys because they
>don't need to relearn a new set for every site), this standard is also
>for the most part numerical, and so is not affected by alphabetical
>browser menu conflicts, as well as being compatible with WebTV
>and mobile phones.
>
>So to conclude, have the W3C considered implementing these
>"standard" accesskeys into their website?
>
>Thanks for your time,
>
>Regards,
>
>Richard

Best wishes,