Re: Re-broken links (was Re: Namespace redirections: (Was: Some broken links on http://www.w3.org/2000/09/xmldsig]))

On Friday 25 October 2002 02:39 pm, Clément Séveillac wrote:
> I am afraid the links are broken again: on
> http://www.w3.org/2000/09/xmldsig#sec-Schema, all the links:
>
> http://www.w3.org/2000/09/xmldsig-core-schema.xsd
> http://www.w3.org/2000/09/xmldsig-core-schema.dtd
> http://www.w3.org/2000/09/xmldsig-datamodel-20000112.gif
> http://www.w3.org/2000/09/signature-example.xml
> http://www.w3.org/2000/09/signature-example-rsa.xml
> http://www.w3.org/2000/09/signature-example-dsa.xml

Clément, these URLs were never "published" (you won't find them in the
spec), instead what happens was that when you typed in the namespace
'http://www.w3.org/2000/09/xmldsig#' we served the specification in its
stead (without changing the URL in your address bar) and you encountered
them from subsequent browsing. What we did to fix this was to make sure
that when you typed in the namespace URL in the future you dereference the
specification *and* the URL in your address bar also changes to reflect
that: 'http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/REC-xmldsig-core-20020212/ '.
Consequently, relative URLs from that will work as they should for
subsequent browsing!

Of course, there are other issues. For the URIs that are published within
the specification, such as 'http://www.w3.org/2000/09/xmldsig#X509Data'
when you dereference that you should get:
http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/REC-xmldsig-core-20020212/Overview.html#sec-X509Data
.
Unfortunately, most browsers will screw this up. Either when they see the
redirect from our server (to the spec) they forget the fragment identifier
(so you won't be taken to the right section of the specification) or they
sent the wrong accept headers (NS/Mozilla) in the request which confuses
the content negotation. (Browsers should ask for 'text/html' or
'application/xhtml+xml' and will get the specification; XML applications
(e.g., schema apps) can ask for 'text/xml' and 'application/xml' and will
get the schema.)

If all of this is more than you care about, sorry for the confusion and if
you want to browse the specification, please use the URL found in the "this
version" found at the top of the specification.