Re: XHTML link on main page is broken

From: Masayasu Ishikawa <mimasa@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 00:36:48 +0900 (JST)
To: bruce.krautbauer@medtronic.com
Cc: site-comments@w3.org, steven.pemberton@cwi.nl

"Steven Pemberton" <steven.pemberton@cwi.nl> wrote:

>  > The XHTML link on the main page is to http://www.w3.org/MarkUp
>  > and my browser (IE 6 SP1) wonders if I want to download the file MarkUp.
>
> This is almost certainly because your browser is telling the W3C site that
> it accepts XHTML
> by sending application/xhtml+xml in the Accept: header.
>
> If you have installed XML Spy that would explain it, since it incorrectly
> causes this to
> be added to the IE accept: head; but there may be other reasons.

In other words:

  1. Open Registry Editor (regedit.exe)
  2. Check [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Accepted Documents]
     to see if 'application/xhtml+xml' got added
  3. If it's there, delete it
  4. Quit Registry Editor and restart IE

Then you should be able to access http://www.w3.org/MarkUp with IE, i.e.
it gets 'text/html'.  IE doesn't support the 'application/xhtml+xml'
media type yet.

If the above process didn't fix your problem, please let me know.

Regards,
--
Masayasu Ishikawa / mimasa@w3.org
W3C - World Wide Web Consortium