help selecting default fonts

From: Bastiaan J. Braams <braams@CIMS.nyu.edu>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 23:55:47 -0400 (EDT)
To: site-comments@w3.org

Dear W3,

I've been looking unsuccessfully for a certain web page that, I
believe, belongs on your site.  I mean a page that helps a web
designer select appropriate fonts, and at the same time helps a
browser user to select the best default fonts for customization of
his browser settings.

Such a page would enumerate the various fonts (in the categories
serif, sans serif, and monospace) that are most widely used and
widely available.

The page would contain a sample paragraph in all those fonts, in
normal size but also in small, x-small, large, and x-large.  The
page would also contain those writings in the default serif,
sans-serif, and monospace fonts, in the various sizes, so that a
user can see immediately the effects of his customizations that
define the default font.

If such a page exists, can you point me to it?  If it doesn't, I
recommend that you write one for the w3.org site.

Cordially,
Bas Braams
--
  Bastiaan J. Braams                           braams@courant.nyu.edu
  Courant Institute, New York University            tel: 212-998-3276