Re: address

"Hidy, David E, PERSCOM" wrote:

> One of the things I could not find in faq, or anywhere, is what is the
> correct, if any, format
> For addresses
> Lower case, should http be there, etc.

If you are referring to URIs (e.g., http://www.w3.org/),
legal syntax is defined by an IETF specification: RFC2396 [1].

Case-sensitivity is determined by each Web server. For instance,
the W3C Web server is generally tolerant of incorrect case
and will correct it for you. So HTTP://WWW.W3.ORG/ will work.

Your browser also does some correction for you. The "http"
part (or whatever scheme is pertinent) is mandatory, so if
it's not present, the browser typically adds it for you.
The typical browser tries a number of tricks and stops when it
finds a page that matches. So, in my Netscape browser, if
I type "w3.org", the browser tries until it finds that adding
"http" and "www" in front produces a page.

I'm not sure whether or where browser developers document
the tests they go through. If you use the Lynx text browser,
Lynx reports its attempts with various repairs.

Hope that helps,

 - Ian

[1] ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2396.txt

Tel:                     +1 718 260-9447