Re: Character entities.

From: Susan Lesch <lesch@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 13:09:33 -0700
To: Lavinia Hyde <Lavinia.Hyde@cimr.cam.ac.uk>
Cc: <site-comments@w3.org>
Lavinia Hyde wrote:

>  The URL is:-
>  http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-html401-19991224/sgml/entities

Thank you for the URL. Your idea has merit but HTML 4.01 is a
Recommendation that won't change - W3C specifications are frozen on
publication. (Were it a Working Draft for example then a change might
have been possible in a future version.)

>  Ideally I would like to be able to scan the page for, e.g. a pound sign,
>  and find the &#code beside it.

Try the htmlhelp.com charts or I imagine that there are others available.

http://www.htmlhelp.com/reference/html40/entities/

Hope this helps.

--
Susan Lesch - mailto:lesch@w3.org  tel:+1.858.483.4819