Re: ie6, tabbing and website navigation design

From: Jonathan Chetwynd <j.chetwynd@btinternet.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 13:36:16 +0100
To: <wai-site-comments@w3.org>, <site-comments@w3.org>
Might WAI & W3C need to consider rewriting their pages?

forwarded from a brief thread at w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

Using ie6 tabbing in ie6 seems very chaotic, please try:

tabbing at the wai homepage: http://www.w3.org/WAI/ or the W3C homepage
http://www.w3.org it is very hard to
navigate.
Tab to an anchor link(eg about[wai], w3c technologies[w3]), press enter, and
tab again. not what one would
expect.
a similar problem is here:
http://www.learningdifficulty.org/develop/w3c-scripts.html
I don't know whether this is an insoluble problem, however I'm finding it
very frustrating.

Anybody have any ideas, the navigation works fine in lynx for instance?
Is it a bug, or perhaps I need to adjust some setting?
I don't know whether to report this as a bug? or how?

graham replied:

Hi Jonathan
I can confirm the strange behaviour on the WAI home
page.
I would say its a bug in IE6, there may be a
workaround in terms of how the underlying code is
written.
For example a tabindex attribute may help things
along.

Regards
Graham

jonathan chetwynd