Re: XML Standards

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 13:09:47 -0500
To: craigg@crabacle.co.uk
CC: connolly+xml@w3.org, site-comments@w3.org

Thanks; I am copying site-comments@w3.org, which has a public archive.

> What XML standards have been ratified

The base specifications are XML 1.0, W3C Recommendation Feb '98,
and Namespaces, Jan '99.

--        Extensible Markup Language (XML)
Wed, 16 May 2001 16:57:21 GMT

There are other XML-related specifications that
have been raitifed by W3C;
cf http://www.w3.org/XML/#events
and http://www.w3.org/TR/

> and are in the public domain?

I'm not aware of any XML specifications in the
public domain; W3C holds copyright on the above specifications.
But our license is very liberal; it allows royalty-free

> And which versions of those standards do they refer to?

I don't understand this question.

> I am constantly in discussion with Service Providers who refuse to use
> XML 'until a standard is ratified'.

I wonder... are these Service Providers waiting for
some other organization to ratify XML? What organizations
do they like to see ratification from?

> - What is the position regarding
> this?

Our position is:

  "W3C Produces Standard-Setting, Interoperable
   Technologies Through Consensus"
	-- W3C press release of 17 April 2001

> Many Thanks
> Regards
> Craig Gannon
> http://www.crabacle.co.uk

office: tel:+1-913-491-0501
pager: mailto:connolly.pager@w3.org
  (put return phone number in from/subject)