Re: Bad link on W3C home page

From: Steinar Kjærnsrød <steinar@infostream.no>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2001 09:47:20 +0200 (MET DST)
To: Susan Lesch <lesch@w3.org>
cc: site-comments@w3.org
On Tue, 8 May 2001, Susan Lesch wrote:

|Steinar Kjærnsrød wrote:
|
|>  The link to the the press release for the XML Schema spec points to
|>  nowhere:
|>
|>   http://www.w3.org/2001/05/xml-schema-pressrelease
|
|Thanks for the report. W3C press releases are prepared in the three
|host site languages, US English, French, and Japanese. That link is
|the resources:
|
|    http://www.w3.org/2001/05/xml-schema-pressrelease.html.en
|    http://www.w3.org/2001/05/xml-schema-pressrelease.html.fr
|    http://www.w3.org/2001/05/xml-schema-pressrelease.html.ja
|
|The server returns your preferred language. What browser and
|operating system are you running, with what language preference?

I see. This time I used MSIE 5.0 on Win '98. There are no such settings
available here as far as I can see. I tried Opera 5 and Netscape 6
and they apparently sent the right HTTP headers since I got the press
release in English.

You should probably return the English version as default when no HTTP
headers are sent by the browser, or even better - let the user decide
by sending an HTML file with available language options.

Thank you for your quick response.

|--

--
Steinar Kjærnsrød <steinar@infostream.no>