Re: Site Comment

From: Ian B. Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2001 13:17:03 -0400
To: "Mark E. Wright" <mark@wrightsites.com>
CC: site-comments@w3.org
> "Mark E. Wright" wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> Please forgive me if I sound rude or unthankful.  I do very much
> appreciate the work of the W3C.

No problem. I appreciate your taking the time to write and I hope
we can help.

[snip]

> This site is one of the most difficult to navigate that I have ever
> encountered.  I code in many other languages including PHP/MySQL and
> C++.  Whenever I'm not sure about the proper use of something in PHP
> or MySQL, I simply go to the proper website and I can very easily find
> the manuals which have a search feature to take me right to what I
> need.  Someone recently told me about a tag in HTML that I had never
> heard of, so I came to the site to look for it.  It took forever for
> me to even find any information remotely related to what I was looking
> for!

Can you explain how you tried to find it? That will help us understand
user expectations. Let me note that:

 * We are not currently thrilled with the search functionality offered
   on the home page. We are working on improving it.

 * The HTML specification is not one link from the home page. You can
   get there on link from the TR page (http://www.w3.org/TR/), the
   site index (http://www.w3.org/Help/siteindex), or the HTML home page
   (http://www.w3.org/MarkUp), all of which are one link from the home
   page.

 * From the HTML 4 spec, the "elements" link at the top of the
   cover page takes you to a table of all HTML elements.

But that's cheating, because I already know how to find this
information.
Please indicate how you went about looking for the information.

Thanks, Mark, for your input.

 - Ian

> Sincerely,
> Mark Wright
> Wrightsites.com - Get the Most from your host!
> Wright Web Design - Go Global, Go Web!
> DomainXpress - Coming Soon
>
> (440) 725-9631

Cell:                    +1 917 450-8783