Re: Spellings

From: Susan Lesch <lesch@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 20:22:13 -0700
To: 4020deere@forty-twenty.com
Cc: site-comments@w3.org
Michael Maurer wrote:

>  "Homepage" as one word or it should be separated into two words.
>  The same applies to "Webpage, Website Webmaster", etc..

As I imagine you are seeing, these words and phrases are in flux as
they become more common. I don't claim to know all the answers. You
will find variations throughout the W3C site. For formal technical
report publications, we use US English and follow Merriam-Webster's
10th Collegiate dictionary at http://www.m-w.com/

World Wide Web is three capitalized words.

Web is always capitalized.

Webmaster is one word, capitalized.

Home page is two words. So are Web page and Web site.

Our backup dictionary, American Heritage, will probably give you
different answers, for example, they have "website" one word in
webmaster, one word, lowercase
Web, one word, capitalized

In the _Concise Oxford Dictionary_ (1999), "web site" is two words, not
capitalized, in case you are writing in UK English. Sorry I haven't yet
seen their new edition (2001).

Best wishes,
Susan Lesch - mailto:lesch@w3.org  tel:+1.858.483.4819
World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) - http://www.w3.org/