Re: Spellings

From: Susan Lesch <lesch@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 20:22:13 -0700
To: 4020deere@forty-twenty.com
Cc: site-comments@w3.org
Michael Maurer wrote:

>  "Homepage" as one word or it should be separated into two words.
>  The same applies to "Webpage, Website Webmaster", etc..

As I imagine you are seeing, these words and phrases are in flux as
they become more common. I don't claim to know all the answers. You
will find variations throughout the W3C site. For formal technical
report publications, we use US English and follow Merriam-Webster's
10th Collegiate dictionary at http://www.m-w.com/

World Wide Web is three capitalized words.
http://www.w3.org/People/Berners-Lee/FAQ.html#Spelling

Web is always capitalized.
http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?va=World+Wide+Web

Webmaster is one word, capitalized.
http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?va=Webmaster

Home page is two words. So are Web page and Web site.
http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?va=home+page

Our backup dictionary, American Heritage, will probably give you
different answers, for example, they have "website" one word in
lowercase.
http://www.bartleby.com/61/57/W0075725.html
webmaster, one word, lowercase
http://www.bartleby.com/61/55/W0075550.html
Web, one word, capitalized
http://www.bartleby.com/61/42/W0074200.html

In the _Concise Oxford Dictionary_ (1999), "web site" is two words, not
capitalized, in case you are writing in UK English. Sorry I haven't yet
seen their new edition (2001).

Best wishes,
--
Susan Lesch - mailto:lesch@w3.org  tel:+1.858.483.4819