Clarification of an Example on Your Site

From: Robert Sewell <rsewell@SESAC.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 16:36:48 -0400 (EDT)
To: "'site-comments@w3.org'" <site-comments@w3.org>
On your frames help page, you give an example of how to share data between
frames (see
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/present/frames.html#sharing-frame-data).
The method shown is to define an object in the <head> of the frameset page,
to which the child frames can reference using parent.MyObject.MyParam.  I'm
having trouble getting this to work, because the example doesn't clarify how
to add parameters to the object.

Your example is this:

<head>
<object id="MyObject" data="data.bar"></object>
</head>

In a Frame page, you say to reference the object like this:

<script type="text/javascript">parent.MyObject.MyParam
</script>

I cannot find any example of what is in the URI "data.bar" that defines the
parameters and, I assume, assigns values.  I've tried adding parameters
tags, but I still cannot get values to show up in the frames.

Please add some clarification to your example on how to share data between
frames; how to add parameters to this object and assign values to them in
such a way that they can be referenced by child frames, either in an
external file (such as your data.bar example) or whatever method will work.

When/if you do, please notify me of the addition and/or just how to make
this work.

Thanks in advance.

Robert Sewell
Senior PC Applications Programmer