Re: HTML 4.01.pdf?

On Tue, Sep 19, 2000, Hugo Haas wrote:
> The file sometimes _appears_ to be corrupted because the Web browser
> uncompresses the file on the fly and names it html40.pdf.gz whereas once
> uncompressed it is PDF and should most likely be named html40.pdf, or
> doesn't modify the file and names it html40.pdf instead of html40.pdf.gz
> since in this case it is still GZIP'ed (I have seen such behaviors on
> PCs).

I just noticed that those problems are documented in the HTML 4
errata[1]:

   7. Gzipped PDF file problematic on Macs
          Added: 26 Jan 2000
          Type: Document Issue
          Refers to: 24 Dec 1999 version.
          may cause problems on Adobe Acrobat on MacIntoshes.
          Correction: Try using the Postscript format. The PDF format
          will not be gzipped in future versions.

   12. Unzipping PDF/PS on Windows
          Added: 28 April 2000
          Type: Document Problem
          Refers to: 24 Dec 1999 version, Gzipped PDF version (as well as
          PS, I presume).
          Correction: There is no problem with the gzipped PDF file. If
          you are having problems unzipping the file it may be that
          Windows has already unzipped it for you during the download. In
          this case, simply remove the ".gz" suffix from the file and
          view it with your PDF viewer.

Regards,

Hugo

  1. http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/html4-updates/errata

--
Hugo Haas, Webmaster, Systems Team - W3C/MIT
mailto:hugo@w3.org - tel:+1-617-452-2092