Re: Bad Link

From: Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 12:43:21 -0400
To: "Burnett, Glenn" <Glenn.Burnett@dgs.ca.gov>
CC: "'site-comments@w3.org'" <site-comments@w3.org>, plh@w3.org
"Burnett, Glenn" wrote:

> Your page http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/CR-DOM-Level-2-20000307/references.html
> includes the link http://www.ecma.ch/stand/ecma-262.htm which is not valid.
> The correct link is shown below.
>
> http://www.ecma.ch/ecma1/STAND/ECMA-262.HTM
>
> Glenn Burnett
> DGS, RESD, BOPP, ITS, ISDS
> Glenn.Burnett@dgs.ca.gov

Hi Glenn,

W3C has a policy of not changing (to the best of our ability)
our published technical reports. Even to fix links or typos.
The good news is that this leads to stability and confidence
in the fact that links to our documents won't break and the
content won't change in the future ; we want to ensure
that people wishing to read or implement a document all get
the same thing.

The bad news is that sometimes links to other sites break,
or they simply become stale as new versions of documents become
available.

So, we won't be fixing this broken link, but we appreciate
your letting us know that it's broken so we can fix it
in the next version. I will forward this information to the
DOM WG.

Thank you,

 - Ian
Tel:                         +1 831 457-2842
Cell:                        +1 917 450-8783