Re: site comments

From: Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2000 19:10:44 -0400
To: Michael Kobas <mk1@hotpop.com>
CC: site-comments@w3.org
Michael Kobas wrote:

> Dear w3.org
>
> I like the new site design. It seems less cluttered than before. However, your are
> hypocritical, because you are using tables for layout rather than tabular
> information.

I think that calling us "hypocritical" is unfair. I am not
excited about using a table for layout, believe me. Our
experiments with trying to design a page that used floats
and worked across different browsers on different platforms
failed. We debated whether we wanted to use floats and take
a stand to promote support for specifications, or to use a
table and ensure that the page linearized well
(as recommended by the Web Content Accessibility
Guidelines [1]). We chose the table as a practical, not purist
solution.

One of the reasons we created this list was to get feedback
on how to improve our design, and in particular, how to get
rid of the table. We hope that people will contribute ideas
and that this archive will allow other people to learn about
designs that "do the right thing": provide visually appealing
solutions that adhere to specifications and meet the needs
of all users.

 - Ian

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/WAI-WEBCONTENT/#gl-table-markup

Tel:                         +1 831 457-2842
Cell:                        +1 917 450-8783