Re: 2 Column Table?

From: Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2000 20:51:40 -0400
To: Craig Hadley <craig@4thandgoal.com>
CC: site-comments@w3.org
Craig Hadley wrote:

> I just am glancing at your new design. I thought that two column tables were not > acceptable to some screen readers -- that they would read across the page.
> Can you give me some insight since I bump into this all the time.

Older screen readers may have problems with side-by-side text, it's
true. (I will try to get some data about this.)

Meanwhile, checkpoint 5.3 [1] in the WCAG 1.0 reads:

   5.3 Do not use tables for layout unless the
       table makes sense when linearized.

This table makes sense when linearized (for example, check out
with Lynx). We tried to use floats instead of tables, but didn't
have enough success across browsers.

 - Ian

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/WAI-WEBCONTENT/#tech-avoid-table-for-layout

> Regards,
> Craig Hadley
> Madison, WI
>
> P.S. If you want to see my guidelines "interpretation" go to http://www.wcdd.org and let me know what you think.

Tel:                         +1 831 457-2842
Cell:                        +1 917 450-8783