Re: New W3C Site Design

"Bailey, Bruce" wrote:

> Hmm.
>
> I like that they claim AA WCAG compliance, but...
>
> Seems to me they violate (P2) Checkpoint 5.3:  Do not use tables for layout
> unless the table makes sense when linearized.
>
> How is [NavBar] [W3C Links: A to Z] [News and Content] [More Links and
> Search] [NavBar] a logical reading order?

That's precisely the order of objects on the page!

> One could also argue that since the W3C banner logo is nothing more than
> stylized text, that it should be rendered with CSS rather than as a graphic.
> That's (P2) Checkpoint 11.1:  Use W3C technologies when they are available
> and appropriate for a task and use the latest versions when supported.

However, CSS Web fonts are not supported. When SVG is supported, we
will probably replace it with an SVG image.

> Len Kasday has pointed out that they violate the spirit if not the letter of
> (P2) 3.5:  Use header elements to convey document structure and use them
> according to specification.

That we will be looking into.

> I like the new home page, but I think, in all honestly, they should drop the
> Double A rating claim.
>
> Just my two cents!

I disagree (and that's telling that there's disagreement among
WG members) except for the header issue.

Respectfully yours,

 - Ian

Tel:                         +1 831 457-2842
Cell:                        +1 917 450-8783