Re: [ANN] OTTR: RDF/OWL modelling framework release, ISWC tutorial

On 6/11/2019 15:06, Cox, Simon (L&W, Clayton) wrote:

> Thanks Simon – yeah, I had seen that and had a go at getting it
> running in TBCME, but failed ☹
>
> The doco didn’t help me get over that hump (a couple of years ago now
> tho.)

Just as a quick pointer: open
TopBraid/Examples/schemashacl-violations.ttl and press the Run
Inferences button. An example SPARQL rule is defined using sh:rule at
schema:Person.

On the more general topic: given that SPARQL is a well-established
mechanism to construct triples, it makes sense to build RDF vocabularies
to share (reusable) SPARQL queries. SPIN contains a concept of
"templates" that are able to encapsulate parameterized SPARQL queries,
including CONSTRUCT queries. So it could indeed be used to cover some of
the requirements discussed in this thread here.

However, SHACL rules would not currently be a suitable template
language. The charter of the original W3C data shapes WG was to define a
validation language, and adding rules as an extra deliverable was
already quite an effort. Having said this, most pieces of the puzzle for
using SHACL to describe CONSTRUCT templates are already in the
vocabulary, and it would be a straight-forward exercise to wrap them
into a template language. The main thing to introduce would be a class
such as

dash:SPARQLConstructTemplate
   rdf:type rdfs:Class ;
   rdfs:comment "Encapsulates one or more SPARQL CONSTRUCT queries that
can be parameterized. Parameters will become pre-bound variables in the
queries." ;
   rdfs:label "SPARQL CONSTRUCT template" ;
   rdfs:subClassOf sh:Parameterizable ;
   rdfs:subClassOf sh:SPARQLConstructExecutable ;
.

which can then be instantiated as

templatetest:CreateRootClassTemplate
   rdf:type dash:SPARQLConstructTemplate ;
   rdfs:comment "Creates a new OWL class as a subclass of Thing, with a
provided label." ;
   rdfs:label "Create root class template" ;
   sh:construct """
     CONSTRUCT {
         ?class a owl:Class .
         ?class rdfs:subClassOf owl:Thing .
         ?class rdfs:label $label .
     }
     WHERE {
          BIND (IRI(CONCAT(\"http://example.org/\",
ENCODE_FOR_URI($label))) AS ?class) .
     }
     """ ;
   sh:parameter [
       rdf:type sh:Parameter ;
       sh:path templatetest:label ;
       sh:datatype xsd:string ;
       sh:description "The label of the new class." ;
       sh:name "label" ;
     ] ;
   sh:prefixes <http://example.org/templatetest> .

You can see the vocabulary to declare parameters (sh:parameter,
sh:datatype etc) is already there in SHACL, as are the terms for
representing SPARQL queries (sh:construct, sh:prefixes etc), and the
pre-binding mechanism to use parameter values in the executing queries.
Such templates above could have multiple sh:construct values, and we
could add a simple mechanism to compose templates from other templates,
allowing to assemble templates like lego building blocks.

If there is interest in such a mechanism, I could write it up some more
and add it to the SHACL API for execution. It would also become one of
the last missing pieces for users to transition from SPIN to SHACL.

Regards,
Holger