Re: Solomon''s curse and search Bias

It's very interesting to see your work in some of the areas I've
wrestled with.  I'm going to be studying that reference on query
relaxation, which may be useful to me in my current work (which is not
RDF-related at all).

More inline ...

On 3/4/2019 7:58 PM, Sherman Monroe wrote:
> Hi TomP,
>
> Thank you for the reference to your work, I look forward to learning
> about your ideas and perhaps they will help improve our interface.
>
>     Another point to keep in mind is that a good user interface must be
>     very
>     different for a small project as contrasted with one that encompasses a
>     large collection of data.
>

> This is something we encountered earlier on. We wished to allow user to
> group the result set by a certain field <http://bit.ly/2IQaC4o>. The
> first prototype used a drop-down menu to store the fields list for user
> to select the grouping criteria, but there are many fields (pages of
> them). So we instead reuse the fields list. When a field is selected, an
> icon appears adjacent to it and when clicked, the records list is
> grouped by that field.

One of my experimental solutions, and I think it came later than the
version described in my paper, was a ordered clickable list of all
top-level subject terms.  You could expand the entire list to show all
the following levels, but no one would usually do it because the entire
list  was too long.  I added the ability to expand just a region of it
by dragging the mouse over it while holding down the control key.
Dragging while holding the shift key collapsed any section that was
under the drag.

This was effective for me, but of course it is a pretty idiosyncratic
technique that might not come easily to everyone.

Another method that worked well for me was a text search that returned,
in separate tabs, hits on subject terms and hits on resources (i.e., URL
page titles).  Clicking on a link in the subject term opened a panel
showing that subject term and related ones, including some context. All
items were clickable, of course. This provided a fast and easy way to
explore related subject terms.  The display of related subject language
terms was the probably the most successful part of my experimental
program, as I have used it over the years.

>     The kinds of things you are trying to explore can also be approached
>     using a framework of library science, and specifically the concepts of
>     "navigation" and "collocation"
>

> Collocation is a genetic feature of RDF, e.g. when classes and
> properties are viewed as facets of the subject that can be toggled.

Yes, and it will be most effective when the RDF has a well-understood
structure around each subject of interest.  Otherwise, how could the
system know how far to go while including related information?  In other
places, I have called these kinds of structures "idioms". One of the
things I liked about topic maps vs RDF was that topic maps provide a
built-in idiom template.  OTOH, that makes it more complicated to
populate than RDF, where you can just throw in bits and pieces as they
become available.

Of course now, with SPARQL, there is no comparison in querying RDF vs
topic maps.  Back in 2002-2003, there was no SPARQL, and topic maps vs
RDF was more up for grabs.

TomP