Re: Solomon''s curse and search Bias - a possible solution

Carl
thanks for reply-

On Sun, Mar 3, 2019 at 2:47 PM Carl Wimmer <carl@correlationconcepts.com>
wrote:.

> Someone has already made a decision as to what is important and what can
> be ignored. The practical result for you is that any elements already
> deemed unimportant are instantly invisible to you, with no way of bringing
> them to the surface.

well, in this case, who would be 'someone' ?  Isnt it an algortirmic bias?

> You used Google. Now, of course, Google can never be accused of filtering
> any results to their own benefit. That would be unthinkable. Usurping
> results for some self serving economic or political gain is dastardly and I
> am sure they would never do it.
>
> what search engine do you use

> What is required is a complete shift from Search (index and heuristics) as
> a means of addressing information.

sounds interesting but I d be tempted to build that on top of index based
search, rather than attempting to replace it

> The first requirement is a system that can assemble a complete set of
> possibilities in response to any query, simple or complex.

ok- I accept that - at the same time we have spent several decades
attempting to find some
agreement of what we can consider ''complete''  taking the universe as the
top set

what about  ... a systemt that can assemble an economically computable .
configurable and  transparently accountable set of possibilitis.....
Now by that I mean: do show the book entitled solomon curse in the results,
but POINT to
where the book got it name from.... this kind of proventance/traceablity
can be easily automated in todays web
no?  for example : search result 1.>>>>>relation to>>>>result2 etc, where
relation can be anything from
'sounds like'' to ''its a parody of' to inspired by   etc

> The second requirement is that the user can select from a list (hopefully
> a very long list) of filtering tools to derive truth from
> connections/possibilities.

sure

> He or she might wish to see the query results from a variety of viewpoints
> to gain perspective.
>
> Let me give an example to illustrate:
>
> Two facts are in evidence ...
>
> The Alpha Motor Car Company made 100 million in profit last year .... and
>
> they fired 5,000 workers.
>
> Now comes the viewpoints to interpret the two fact.
>
> From the worker's union point of view (schema) ... those bastards, they
> made a hundred million and they fired 5,000 of the guys that made that
> profit possible for them.
>
> From the shareholder's  point of view (schema) ... we only made 100
> million on all that investment, .. fire 5,000 more workers.
>
> From management's point of view (schema) ... Well, how we managed to make
> any cars at all at the outrageous wages demanded by the union is a miracle.
> The only reason we were able to sell any of those cars was because we
> surrendered to the low offers made by the customers, squeezing us from the
> top. We managed to get some designs for products for next year and we
> ground out 100 million in profit.
>
> I like viewpoints but....  needs some work to implement them in the open
web.... assuming there shall be one.....

> Not as good as Toyota down the street but better than GM up the block. All
> in all, not a bad year.
>
> Now you see the framework for the solution to your problem. The schemas
> are not used to derive the possibilities (that has to be done by a new
> system of addressing information) but they are used to sort and qualify the
> results from as many different points of view as possible to gain real
> perspective.
>
> viewpoints are a technical standard which could be one way to solve this
bias

thanks Carl