Re: Deep Fakes, Phishing & Epistemological War - how we can help combat these.

On Wed, 05 Jun 2019 10:54:15 +0200, Graham Klyne <gk@ninebynine.org> wrote:

> On 04/06/2019 09:37, Henry Story wrote:
>> In a recent article on Deep Fakes in the Washington Post,
>> Assistant Prof. of Global Politics Dr. Brian Klaas, University
>> College London, wrote
>> "You thought 2016 was a mess? You ain't seen nothing yet.”
>> https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2019/05/14/deepfakes-are-coming-were-not-ready/
>>
>> ... There is no turning back this technology, and this will bring us
>> back to a pre-photographic world, where trust in the coherence and
>> authorship of a story is all we have to go by for believability.
>
> This, from Tim Bray?:
>
> "How about camera companies install a signed cert on each device, and
> the device signs each photo/video-clip before saving? #TruthTech"
>
> -- https://twitter.com/timbray/status/942176960632971264

In a world with a couple of billion existing cameras, where "citizen
journalism" is the answer to the capture of advertising away from
organisations that provide trusted information, that seems unrealistic.

When the deployment of cameras that do sign content happens at sufficient
scale, will be be doomed to a world of unedited videos?

Or will we just do the same as with other information, and base our trust
decisions on what we already believe?

cheers