Re: neural networks being purported as KR?

Thank you all who replied (from different lists)
and apologies for cross posting, also apologise for sending links to
articles
behind the paywall

I did not find any reference to subsymbolic KR in that article, if that is
so, such definition for NN should be specified
as being subsymbolic . There's a huge difference.

Achieszka - and others - this must be the part of the semantic web that I
never understood, and maybe
why the sw that some of us are hoping for,  has not yet happened  (I got as
far as microtheories)

Now I understand also the thinking behind the bits about the logic
disjunction which chill my bones.

Semantics, as in..... ''relating to meaning in language or logic'' cannot
be supported by sub symbolic KR,
can it?   What are the languages of SSKR?  I cannot envisage 'discourse or
argumentation' being possible
(unless its ahead and I cant see it)

The point  is that SSKR does not support Logic, which is the foundation of
intelligent function in human and systems

You can argue that computational semantics can be more granular and express
meaning
aggregating smaller units, say, lexemes or parts of speech but...
at system level, there can be no function, nor process, nor logical
integrity without the coherent
integration of the parts (the intelligence bit)

A lump of neurons dont make a brain!!!!

This article says:
The subsymbolic representation of the world often corresponds to a pattern
that mirrors the world as described by the biological sense organs.
https://academic.oup.com/logcom/article-abstract/23/3/627/1029379?redirectedFrom=fulltext

An individual neuron, is not capable of cognitive function beyond the
synapsis
(from what we know).

I cannot  have ANY kind of intelligent interaction  with a single neuron -
its like trying to have a conversation with an amoeba
 or with a single brain cell, or to make eye contact with a cell in the
retina
 Not likely  (beyond elemental signal exchange)

Agree perhaps symbolic and subsymbolic KR must be integrated, thanks DR for
pointing to that article

I found this article useful also to explain the KR stack
Symbols and subsymbols for representing knowledge: a catalogue raisonne
https://www.ijcai.org/Proceedings/89-1/Papers/001.pdf

I wonder, John and all,  do you think it is reasonable to suggest that for
each
set of sub symbolic KR, there shoudl correspond a set of symbolic KR
to support some kind of integration of the different levels

I wonder

Thanks to all

PDM