Re: Pragmatic Authoring Tools for RDF Stores

On 2018-09-22 15:36, Steven Harms wrote:
> /Note: Vocabulary choice might be off below. Read with maximal flexibility/
>
> After reading up on RDF, vocabulary authoring, and getting to know a
> number of vocabularies, I want to populate a collection. However, when I
> make my first steps in this regard I find myself both hindered and
> confused by lack of tooling.
>
> *Interface: *As an example, I'd expect to be able to find a tool that
> lets one import vocabularies to the tool as the available options with
> authoring statements. Given the "triple," I'd expect to select a
> subject, predicate, object as chosen from those data provided by the
> cached vocabularies.
>
> When I look for such a thing
> (https://www.w3.org/wiki/AuthoringToolsForRDF), the tools are mostly >
> 10 years old with few updates and no /de facto/ standard. In general,
> most searches to find an authoring platform point to dead links or
> bit-rotted pages. Ultimately, this leads me to ask whether my
> understanding is correct.
>
> Questions:
>
> 1. Is authoring like I described above desirable, expected? Is it hoped
> that individuals would think "Hm, instead of a bulleted list in a Google
> Doc, I'll add these notes using (sought RDF tool)." Or is the
> expectation that some other storage / interface / solution that emits
> RDF will be the primary interface?
>
> 2. Assuming individual authorship /is/ a desired thing, is the
> "Interface" I described above a reasonable sketch of the user experience?
>
> 3. Assuming individual authorship as desirable and the UX as
> appropriate, why doesn't that (seem to?) exist?
>
> While I doubt that RDF Collections will be used for casual
> shopping-lists etc., there are a number of places where they ought be
> useful in both home and business (e.g. `home:photoAlbum2009A
> schema:about lifeEvents:tripToLondon`) and being able to author them in
> a pleasant UI that enriches a collection in a virtuous cycle seems to be
> the future this group is striving toward.
>
> Clarifications will be greatly appreciated,
>
> Steven
>

> --
> Steven G. Harms
> PGP: E6052DAF
> <https://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x337AF45BE6052DAF>

Hi Steven,

Check out:

* https://ods-qa.openlinksw.com/rdf-editor/ (close to what you are
looking for I think)

* https://dokie.li/

In case you are not already aware, you might want to engage in Linked
Data/Read-Write Web-centric mailing lists (in CC):

* public-lod@w3.org

* public-rww@w3.org

-Sarven
http://csarven.ca/#i