Re: [External] My summary of discussion with Pat was: modal logic, rdf and category theory

> On 19 Sep 2018, at 17:54, Young,Jeff (OR) <jyoung@oclc.org> wrote:
>
> I’ve been noodling about Category Theory and RDF too. It seems like “RDF Graph” is a category. Related categories would be “Table” (e.g. HBase) and “Tree” (e.g. XML/JSON). The objects, morphisms, composition, identity and associativity manifested in each category represent different perspectives, with complementary features (advantages and disadvantages).

I have been thinking of the Category RDFGraph here
https://math.stackexchange.com/questions/2921477/what-does-the-category-of-rdf-models-look-like-in-institution-theory <https://math.stackexchange.com/questions/2921477/what-does-the-category-of-rdf-models-look-like-in-institution-theory>

> Given categories from this POV, the functors would be operations like SPARQL SELECT <https://www.w3.org/TR/sparql11-query/#select> (graph to table), R2RML <https://www.w3.org/TR/r2rml/> (table to graph), XSLT (tree to graph), SPARQL CONSTRUCT <https://www.w3.org/TR/sparql11-query/#construct> (graph to graph), etc. These functors allow applications to move seamlessly between the categories so the advantages of each can be leveraged efficiently.

yep, these do look like functors, you are right. Tables would simply be subsets of arbitrary products.
In each category you'd need to define the morphisms between the objects.
Then one would need to define how arrows are transferred from one category to the next.

As for something like SPARQL Concstruct type functor Benjamin Braatz' thesis on graph
transformations gives something along those lines I suppose. It's a bit tough to follow because
he uses pullbacks and upshots to define something like that. I think
I am getting good enough to read that thing now, so I'll be trying again. I'll see how functors
are used.

> I haven’t thought about if/how this way of thinking relates to modal logic, though.

Well sparql constructs can be thought of as mapping models to models which are what
kripke frames do. A kripke frame is a logic plus relations between models.

That's what I am looking to see if I can formalize.