Re: rdf and category theory

On 9/1/18 5:46 AM, Henry Story wrote:
 > A bit over 4 years have passed since this thread
 > ( https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/semantic-web/2014Apr/ )
 > and I somehow ended up in University of Southampton studying
 > Category Theory and RDF.  I am especially interested in
bringing modal logic
 > to it, for reasons explained in the paper "Epistemology in the
Cloud - on Fake news
 > and digital Sovereignty" where I argue from an epistemological
point of view for a peer
 > to peer hyper web based on modal analysis of knowledge.
 > This has been accepted for the 2018 Decentralizing the
Semantic Web Workshop
https://medium.com/@bblfish/epistemology-in-the-cloud-472fad4c8282

 > That paper does not go into technical detail, but it did lead
Pat Hayes to ping
 > me that he was not happy with having references to Possible
Worlds in the original
 > RDF Semantics spec. (It would be nice to have precise reasons
for why this was
 > later thought to be a mistake).
OK, since you asked :-)

The only place in the 2004 RDF specification where the phrase
"possible world" is used is in a non-normative section which I
wrote as an attempt to give a kind of intuitive outline of the
basic ideas of Tarskian model theory, expressed in as intuitive a
way as I could for readers who were new to the whole topic of
formal semantics. And the phrase occurs even there only in an
aside comment, inside scare quotes, to suggest one way to think
intuitively about Tarskian interpretations. Nothing is said
anywhere in that document or indeed anywhere else in the 2004 RDF
specification documents to even remotely suggest that RDF has
modal content or should be understood as a modal logic. (In fact,
that idea is so far removed from the whole enterprise of RDF that
the idea - and the concomitant possibility of misinterpreting
that passing phrase in this way - did not even occur to me at the
time.)

However, this attempt to give an intuitive introduction in a
technical specification document was not a success, as it was
almost immediately misunderstood by a large number of readers
(including, apparently, yourself) and in any case, in retrospect,
it was not appropriate to give tutorial material in a technical
specification. The revised RDF 1.1 semantics document, replacing
the 2004 document which is now deprecated, therefore omits all
such intuitive explanations and describes the (slightly modified)
semantics directly and formally, without mentioning 'worlds' at
all, possible or otherwise.

Right at the end of the RDF 1.1 semantics document there is
indeed a tiny mention of the possibility of some future extension
of RDF using a modal interpretation of RDF datasets (basically
quad stores). But any such interpretation would require a major
change to the semantics (analogous to the extension of Tarskian
model theory to the Kripke semantics for modal logics) and some
kind of enrichment of the RDF syntax to provide some way to
indicate the syntactic scope of any modal operator. RDF graph
syntax has no scope marking, a fact that gave the RDF and OWL WGs
many technical challenges. (For further discussion of this point
and what could be done about it, see
https://www.slideshare.net/PatHayes/blogic-iswc-2009-invited-talk
starting from slide 15.)

 > It is to me very clear that RDF has a modal aspect to it,
which comes out very clearly
 > with Quad stores.

That is totally unclear to me. Quad stores can be, and have been,
used to represent all kinds of 'extra' content, including graphs
with time-stamping or location-stamping or representing states of
something or linking information about a person or topic to that
person or topic. None of this is modal.

But it looks like this may need proving - or perhaps someone has
already
 > done so? Modal logic need not I suppose involve possible
worlds, and the interesting thing
 > is that Category Theories believe to have proven that modal
logic is to coalgebras what
 > equational reasoning is to algebras.  See "Modal Logics are
Coalgebraic" for a summary
 > https://academic.oup.com/comjnl/article-abstract/54/1/31/336864
 > Coalgebras give us the mathematics of infinite streams,
processes, a notion of co-induction,
 > and are to semantics what algebra is to syntax.
 >
 > All RDF semantics tells us is how to merge two graphs when one
believes them both
 > to be true.

Not quite "all", but your introduction of "believes" is
gratuitous. The RDF (and OWL) semantics saying nothing about
believing or beliefs.

 > But what if one believes that someone else believes them to be
true?

And how is that nested modality to be represented in a form that
can be transmitted across the Web? You need to explain how RDF
syntax can be extended to cover this kind of assertion.

  Then
 > by merging them one can find out what they think is true, and
one can model that
 > in terms of possible worlds, or for those more syntactically
oriented sets of all the
 > ways of completing those graphs in ways that are consistent
(or sets of maximally complete
 > such graphs). There is a clear modal element to that, in so
far as one cannot
 > merge graphs of what one believes to be true into someone
else's belief store without getting
 > a wrong idea of what they believe.

But one can say all of this without mentioning the modal notion
of belief. You are here simply talking about truth, consistency
and validity (or otherwise) of inference on RDF graphs, but
adding 'believes' instead of 'true' throughout.

 > So if this still needs to be proven

What exactly "needs to be proven" ?

it seems like Institution theory may help to do
 > so. In a very interesting paper from 2006 by Dorel Lucanu,
Yuan Fang Li, and Jin Song Dong
 > entitled "Semantic Web Languages – Towards an Institutional
Perspective" show how one can
 > use the theory of institutions to show how RDF, RDFS, OWL
(light, DL,...,Full), ... that
 > seem to have very different semantics can in fact be seen to
be consistent.

The OWL specification documents show this already, in almost
painful detail. (Well, insofar as it is correct. Some RDFS
tautologies are not valid in any OWL dialect, for example.)

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.119.5368&rep=rep1&type=pdf
 > So if someone tells you that these are incompatible semantics
point them to that paper.

Or read the specifications themselves :-)

Pat

 > It looks like work needs to be done to show that these are
also compatible with
 > modal logics (with neighborhood semantics is my guess: ie
coalgebras of the form
 >     S -> S^2^2
 > a.k.a
 >     S -> đť’«đť’«(S)
 > where đť’«(S) is a predicate and đť’«đť’«(S) is a set of predicates.
Now if one thinks
http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.159.2020&rep=rep1&type=pdf

 > As for good introductions to CT, since that was part of the
topic 4 years ago,
 > I think the best online intro (and more) for programmers are
Bart Milewski's
 > ( https://bartoszmilewski.com/ ) videos on youtube
 > https://www.youtube.com/user/DrBartosz/playlists
 > I really recommend it. He is extremely clear without being boring.
 >
 > I also liked a lot "Category Theory for Computing Science" by
Michael Barr and
http://www.tac.mta.ca/tac/reprints/articles/22/tr22.pdf )

https://math.stackexchange.com/questions/2896172/how-should-one-model-rdf-semantics-in-terms-of-category-theory

 > Has anyone come across further developments in this space
since then?

 > Henry Story
 >

 >> On 17 Apr 2014, at 20:02, Obrst, Leo J. <lobrst@mitre.org> wrote:
 >>
 >> Back a few years, emerging from the old IEEE Standard Upper
Ontology group’s work was Bob Kent’s Information Flow Framework,
an ontology framework (a meta-level framework) based on Barwise &
Seligman’s Information Flow Theory, itself an application of
Category Theory. See, for example: http://arxiv.org/pdf/1109.0983v1.

 >> Mainly folks have used Information Flow Theory or Goguen’s
notion of institutions as springboards from category theory to
ontologies, especially for so-called “lattice of theories”,
ontology mapping, and semantic interoperability applications.
Work includes Mossakowski’s various papers:
http://iws.cs.uni-magdeburg.de/~mossakow/.

 >> For a short “position” paper, see:
 >> Markus Kr¨otzsch, Pascal Hitzler, Marc Ehrig, York Sure.
2005. Category Theory in Ontology Research: Concrete Gain from an
Abstract Approach. http://www.aifb.kit.edu/web/Techreport893.

 >> For RDF and category theory, the only paper I know of
addresses graph transformations for RDF:
 >> Benjamin Braatz; Christoph Brandt. 2008. Graph
Transformations for the Resource Description Framework.
Proceedings of the Seventh International Workshop on Graph
Transformation and Visual Modeling Techniques (GT-VMT 2008).
http://journal.ub.tu-berlin.de/eceasst/article/view/158/142.

 >> Admittedly most of the above are applications beyond logic
itself and RDF, but might shed some light on how category theory
is being used for ontologies.

<antoine.zimmermann@emse.fr> wrote:
 >> There're a lot of resources available online and for free
about category theory.

 >> Some examples:
 >>   - Jirí Adámek, Horst Herrlich, George E. Strecker. Abstract
and Concrete Categories: The Joy of Cats (524 pages).
http://katmat.math.uni-bremen.de/acc/acc.pdf
 >>   - Maarten M. Fokkinga. A Gentle Introduction to Category
Theory: the calculational
approach.http://wwwhome.ewi.utwente.nl/~fokkinga/mmf92b.pdf (80
pages).
http://www.staff.science.uu.nl/~ooste110/syllabi/catsmoeder.pdf

 >> One of the best is Robert Goldblatt's Topoi : The Categorial
Analysis of Logic .  He pays special attention to linking CT
concepts to both classic math and ordinary intuition.

 >> I looked through Robert Goldblatt's Topoi quickly [1] and
indeed it is the book that covers the subject probably most
relevant to the semantic web community, since it aims to show how
logic can be derived from Category Theory. In this area I found
reading through the first part of Ralf Krömer's "Tool and Object:
A History and Philosophy of Category Theory" to also be very
interesting, as it gives an overview of the foundational debate
in Mathematics  started by CT.

 >> It's so odd that RDF is entirely about relations just as CT
is ( except that RDF is one to many whereas CT arrows are
functions). So I really look forward to understanding how these
two domains fit together, and perhaps how they complement each other.

 >> Henry
 >>
 >> [1] Having read through half of  "Conceptual Mathematics" by
Willima Lawvere and done most of the exercises there, I am
starting to be able to read a lot of these books much more easily.

--
call or text to 850 291 0667