Re: RDF graph merging: How useful is it really? (was Re: Blank Nodes Re: Toward easier RDF: a proposal)

On 11/28/18 9:15 AM, Hugh Glaser wrote:
 > RDF -> RDF [translation] is hugely important for building
 > stuff, to remove stuff, or convert into preferred ontologies.

Agreed.  In my experience it's needed in almost every RDF
application.

 > . .  If there were good tools to do this (or even one :-),
 > or maybe there is), that integrated with what people use,
 > would that be useful?

Yes!   I have often used SPARQL to perform RDF-->RDF
translation, though we also experimented with ShExMap and
JavaScript in a previous project.

 > That would encourage a library of transformation specs,
 > such as dc->dct, xxx->skos etc.

We also experimented with the idea of creating a mapping hub
for sharing translation rules.  It was agnostic about the
"rules" language (including ShExMap and JavaScript), used
github for storing/sharing the rules themselves, and provided
a front-end for categorizing/finding existing translation
rules.  The idea is described on slide 53 (also attached):
http://tinyurl.com/YosemiteRoadmap20150709slides

We also built a rough POC (but don't expect it to be fully
functional):
https://mappinghub.github.io/
I still think this mapping hub idea has a *lot* of merit.

David Booth