Re: Blank nodes as predicates Re: Blank Nodes Re: Toward easier RDF: a proposal

On 11/22/18 5:28 PM, Hugh Glaser wrote:> Well done, David, great
initiative, and thanks, Pat, for the clarification.

 > FWIW I hate blank nodes with a passion.
 > But what I hate with even more passion is lack of regularity
(some would say lack of symmetry), so that I have to remember
exceptions.
 > (It's the functional programmer in me!)
 > And worse still, especially in the context of this discussion,
the problem of having to explain the exceptions to other developers.

 > So it is a source of embarrassment to me when I explain the
beauty of RDF triples to them, and then in the next breath have
to explain that subjects are not like objects, because you can't
put literals in them.
 > And even worse, the consequence of that is that you will have
to choose "hasName" and "hasBirthday" type predicates, as we
don't support "nameOf" and "birthdayOf" direction.

 > Pat, presumably if I can have literals in subject position, I
can have them in the predicate position too?

Yes, as far as the semantics is concerned.

 > That would be great (I have no idea what it means, but it
would still be great not to have to explain another exception :-) )

I have no idea what it would mean, either, but my experiences
with the (WAY more expressive and complicated) ISO Common Logic
standardisation and the subsequent IKL logic for interoperation
deeply agrees with your intuition here. We called it "wild west
syntax". Basically, if you take away syntactic restrictions
unless they are absolutely necessary, this will allow expressions
which SEEM to make no sense, but all of those will quite quickly
get used in a natural way to mean something useful. For example,
we thought that allowing quoted names to be properties was crazy
at first, but we allowed it on the wild west principle, since
nobody could think of a reason to disallow it; and it turned out
to be critical for the IKRIS project, allowing us to 'tag' names
by their source, so we had a natural way to refer to the
thing-that-this-name-means-in-that-document, and to state rules
about it, such as that it will be the same thing in all documents
of a certain category. (see
https://www.slideshare.net/PatHayes/ikl-presentation-for-ontolog
slide 15 etseq.)

 > And while we are on introducing simple RDF to people, it would
be good to have a common visual representation of RDF.
 > Again, I usually go down the route of nodes (subject/object)
and edges (predicates); but then have to fudge things when people
ask what happens when predicates are also in subject/object
positions in the RDF.

Well, THAT is just normal RDF. Happens a lot in the RDFS specs,
for example.

 > (Sorry if there is something well-known out there).

Pat Hayes

 > I do understand that changing these things might cause
problems for existing tooling.
 > But having homogeneity actually simplifies a lot of tooling,
as you don't have to worry about where thing might appear.

 > Now, next question.
 > Where do graphs appear in all this?
 > Can I have blank nodes and literals in the graph position?
 > Clearly my answer would be "yes, please".
 > And what would a simple visual representation look like with
graphs involved?

 > In fact, graphs seem to have gone remarkably unmentioned in
this discussion - but they are a source of serious effort for
dealing with a lot of the stuff that developers need to deal
with, especially when combining from sources.
 > It's easy to burn serious amounts of time getting the graphs
and associated granularity right.

 > That's enough from me, I think.
 >
 > Best
 > Hugh
 >
 >> On 22 Nov 2018, at 21:00, Pat Hayes <phayes@ihmc.us> wrote:
 >>
 >> On 11/22/18 9:30 AM, Dan Brickley wrote:> This did crop up in
json-ld, see
 >>> https://github.com/w3c/json-ld-syntax/issues/37 with the notion
 >>> of "generalized rdf" introduced in the last round of specs.
 >>> https://www.w3.org/TR/rdf11-concepts/#section-generalized-rdf
 >>>

 >>> On Thu, 22 Nov 2018, 06:20 Martynas Jusevičius
 >>> <martynas@atomgraph.com <mailto:martynas@atomgraph.com> wrote:
 >>>
 >>>      Is that really an essential problem? With blank nodes as
 >>>      predicates,
 >>>      will it suddenly become easier to build RDF
applications and
 >>>      explain
 >>>      it "for dummies"?
 >>>
 >>>      A lot of infrastructure will break and/or will have to be
 >>>      updated,
 >>>      that is for sure.
 >>
 >> FWIW, allowing bnodes in predicate position (and literals in
subject position) does not affect the RDF semantics at all. The
2014 RDF 1.1 semantics specification applies to generalized RDF
syntax without changing a single word.

 >> Infrastructure which checks for conformance to RDF syntax
would need to be changed, obviously, but the changes should be
minimal as they simply amount to not performing certain syntax
checks which are currently required.

 >> Inference engines which perform any kind of unification
should generalize to the more liberal syntax with minimal changes
to code, although indexing and hashing might need more
substantial changes. But any RDF inference engine which is
complete will probably be already using generalized RDF syntax,
or something equivalent, internally.

--