Re: rdfs:subClassOf and XSD derivation by restriction

From: Peter F. Patel-Schneider <pfpschneider@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2018 14:28:25 -0700
To: Richard Smith <richard@ex-parrot.com>, Andreas Harth <andreas@harth.org>
Cc: semantic-web@w3.org

On 3/6/18 9:43 AM, Richard Smith wrote:
> Andreas Harth wrote:

[...]
>> The RDF 1.1 semantics spec gives that example and implicitely derives
>> that entailment from the XSD specification (I think).
>
> Having thought about this in some more detail, I think I now
> understand it.
>
> So far as I can tell, none of the RDF specs formally defines the
> lexical-to-value mapping of the RDF-compatible XSD types.  I'd expect
> it to be defined in §5.1 of RDF 1.1 Concepts but it is not said
> explictly.  Nevertheless, I'm sure it's intended that the lexical
> space, value space and lexical-to-value mapping of these types for the
> purpose of RDF is the same as their lexical space, value space and
> lexical mapping as defined in XSD.

Yes, I would say that this is the intended meaning of "IRIs
<https://www.w3.org/TR/rdf11-concepts/#dfn-iri> of the form
|http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#/xxx/|, where |/xxx/| is the name of a
datatype, denote the built-in datatypes defined in /XML Schema 1.1 Part
2: Datatypes" <http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema11-2/>/in 5.1 of RDF 1.1
Concepts.//  It probably would have been better to make this blindingly
obvious, however.

[...]
> Richard

peter