Re: AIML?

Danny

 few quick comments below

On Thu, Jun 28, 2018 at 7:45 PM, Danny Ayers <danny.ayers@gmail.com> wrote:

> Apologies for only having skimmed the thread, but it is something I too
> have been wondering about.

what part

> As far as I can see, there is still a dichotomy here, dating from the
> 1960's. Brain people and librarians. Rephrase at will.
>
> Is the most useful material ever, metadata, categorization, can get some
> kind of Naive Bayes for Amazon, instance things. Self-driving cars -
> brilliant! But still missing a bit a think.

surely this technology we use is just a beginning

The 'Deep' things find patterns. Alas I think, folks get too focused [sic]
> on vision.
>
> To do something useful with these, the neural needs to get the graph.

dont think my neural needs graph personally

> I've not seen anything close. The recurrent things, yes, nearly got
> timeline. Spacial, for sure. Getting the knowledge encapsulated in a web
> (or human) set of links, not seen.

not seen, because knowledge can only be defined by its representation,
which to work on paper needs to be very limited, also real time knowledge
is flowing constantly why our schemas are fixed. its elusive

> Bottom-line problems here I think are that people either want to get a
> doctorate that makes sense or an app that makes money.

personally I am just trying to follow developments across the board
and despite having a rather big mind capable of both expanding and
contracting at will, I start wondering about the limit of cognition and why
does anything matter anyway before I get to the end of the day
a lot of people are struggling to keep up with facts events, and if we
(humanity) lose our grip who knows- at  minimum we need to try have some
awareness of developments
AI is going to pervade/support every effort, from learning to decision
making, impact our judgement on the smallest things- we may well want to
have some map to help us navigate the oceans ahead and keep up with it

Cliche, but 'outside of the box'. Different ways of thinking that might
> work well on silicon, things that can work well, we have little
> comprehension.

let us know what you have in mind

> I know I am starting to sound like like a nutjob, but isn't it at least
> plausible...wait, I was going to say at least plausible that computers
> could do things we couldn't. Done and dusted. Better at sums. But a
> different approach to things? We can see into the infrared thanks to techno
> developments. Might it not be possible for computers to think in ways that
> defy us?

yes, I am sure. but not sure if we can achieve this within the limit scope
of our discussion here :-)

> Yes, I accept mathematics as the fundamental, but different mathematics?
> Plausible?

there must be better math systems waiting to be discovered/invented
although I dont think it will be within the scope of work of our proposed
community, maybe you can tell us more once you ve figure things out

> I had a large glass of wine in the middle of that.

a glass may good for your but dont have the whole bottle plz

--
*A bit about me <https://about.me/paoladimaio>*