From: Stian Soiland-Reyes <soiland-reyes@manchester.ac.uk>
Sent: Monday, June 18, 2018 2:46 PM
To: Reto Gmür <reto@factsmission.com>; Andy Seaborne <andy@apache.org>; Semantic Web <semantic-web@w3.org>
Subject: RE: [ANN] RDF Delta : change logging and dataset replication.

From what I get in https://afs.github.io/rdf-delta/rdf-patch.html#blank-nodes it assumes a “system identifier” that survives multiple patches. This is kind of like a I-know-its-a-bnode-and-so-should-you skolemization (but where the end result is still a bnode).

I see why you raise this, as there would be challenges if you had federated systems that used RDF patches, as you would need to keep track of which ‘system’ a patch picked its identifiers from. Yes, that could go into “H id” as in https://afs.github.io/rdf-delta/rdf-patch-logs.html

I think a select-pattern-based system that would work with isomorphic graphs would be more general (e.g. such patches could be applied to a variety of stores), but probably harder for an RDF store to generate from a simple transaction log. It could also be more computationally expensive to apply.

As this is an RDF Patch update we don’t need any kind of selection, just to deal with known triples separately.

Perhaps it could work by adding an S(elect) operation and E(xists) within a transaction?

Suggested format:

TX .

S _:1 .

E <http://example.com/person1>  <http://schema.org/Person> .

E <http://example.com/person1> <http://schema.org/affiliation> _:1 .

E _:1 <http://schema.org/url> <http://example.com/org1> .

D _:1 <http://schema.org/name> “Fred’s Fish House” .

A _:1 <http://schema.org/name> “Fred’s Soup House” .

TA .

(Using schema.org as example as it relies a lot on bnodes)

Here we (S)elect _:1 as a blank node ID to be bound within this transaction (_:1 is no longer a system identifier).

To restrict which bnode we are talking about, the store would need to match all of the E(xists) statements.  Any non-selected _: identifiers there are NOT free, but are still interpreted as ‘system identifiers’, but you can add multiple S(elections).

Here the transaction would fail if any of the E’s triples/quads fail to exists, or give multiple bindings for _:1. I don’t think it would be appropriate for RDF Patch format to do wildcard bnode selections, e.g. “Delete all bnodes that are organizations..”.

It is not a requirement that every selected bnode is used in A/D, although it would be silly if none of them were used. (This permits you do use intermediate bnodes in the E selection)

It would have to be inside a transaction because such patches are not necessarily idempotent, e.g. the A/D operations might be doing something that breaks the E query and so you can’t run it again.

My proposal would presumably be fairly simple to translate to SPARQL updates.

--
Stian Soiland-Reyes, eScience Lab
School of Computer Science, The University of Manchester