Re: [Orga-semantics-2018] Reply to Semantics Proceedings Inquiry

Hi Sarven,

On 06.02.2018 04:39, Sarven Capadisli wrote:
> On 2018-02-06 01:34, Sebastian Hellmann wrote:
>> Hi Sarven,
>>

>> On 05.02.2018 23:29, Pellegrini Tassilo wrote:
>>> * Why are contributors forced to communicate using print-centric medium
>>> as opposed to Web?
>> We did the exercise to publish HTML-only proceedings at CEUR for the
>> posters last year: https://github.com/webdata/SEMANTiCS2017-posters/
>>
>> This is complemented with a full RDF version in NIF and HDT, also
>> Spotlight annotations. We are currently finishing it and submitting it
>> to CEUR. Should only be another week now.
>>
>> As lessons learned, we can say, that http://dokie.li/ was not really
>> recommendable, because the HTML editing lacked usability
>
> Classic straw man. I'm not even going to bother.
>
> Based on past conversations, I'm fairly certain that there is a giant
> gap between what you think dokieli does or intended to do, and the
> reality.

Seems to be well documented. The main criteria here was the ease of
doing the basics, i.e. getting the content in HTML to make it more
accessible for machine-reading and NLP and also doing uniform
proceedings. The other great intentions were more of a nice-to-have, but
not essential.

> But don't let me get in the way, please send the results of the
> usability study.

We (well Javier did most of it) tried to reformat an existing paper with
each tool available and on this we based the decision. So it was very
subjective, but this is probably what all users would base their
decision on.
You could debrief the authors of the proceedings what the main pain
points were. We just want to finish the proceedings, not study it too much.

My main point here is that HTML is more difficult to produce. Each paper
had small different errors and our colleague Marvin was working on each
of these individually. See e.g. here:
https://validator.w3.org/nu/?doc=https%3A%2F%2Fdokie.li%2F
HTML5 leaves out trailing </p> tags, etc. Many small diverse things.

Google Docs Export or Latex2HTML would really help with adoption.  I
would really like to see more HTML in research, but doing the exercise I
would say that it is still quite a chunk of work. Proceedings are still
necessary in my opinion.

On the other hand, if there were better tools, I am sure more people
would switch, similar to how everybody switched to sharelatex and google
docs. CEUR-WS is also a really good platform to publish.

All the best,
Sebastian

PS: http://csarven.ca/dokeili-rww is a 404