Re: How to name the namespaces?

On Sun, Dec 16, 2018 at 01:01:08AM +0200, Victor Porton wrote:
> > I currently have the following RDF associated with
> > http://www.w3.org/2001/XInclude [patch applied] namespace:
> >
> > @prefix : <http://portonvictor.org/ns/trans/> .
> > @prefix lang: <http://portonvictor.org/ns/trans/scripts/#> .
> >
> > _:xinclude
> >    a :Transformer ;
> >    :sourceNamespace <http://www.w3.org/2001/XInclude> ;
> >    :universal true ;
> >    :inward false ;
> >    #:targetNamespace <...> ;
> >    :precedence :precedence-include ;
> >    :script [
> >      a :Command ;
> >      :language lang:XInclude ;
> >      :transformerKind :entire ;
> >      :preservance 1.0 ;
> >      :stability 1.0 ;
> >      :preference 1.0
> >    ] .
> >
> > Now I want to give specific (non-blank) names to transformers and script,
> > like this:
> >
> > <http://www.w3.org/2001/XInclude#transformer>
> >    a :Transformer ;
> >    :sourceNamespace <http://www.w3.org/2001/XInclude> ;
> >    :universal true ;
> >    :inward false ;
> >    #:targetNamespace <...> ;
> >    :precedence :precedence-include ;
> >    :script <http://www.w3.org/2001/XInclude#transformer-script1> .
> >
> > <http://www.w3.org/2001/XInclude#transformer-script1>
> >      a :Command ;
> >      :language lang:XInclude ;
> >      :transformerKind :entire ;
> >      :preservance 1.0 ;
> >      :stability 1.0 ;
> >      :preference 1.0 .
> >
> > My question: is it a good idea to associate URLs of the form
> > http://www.w3.org/2001/XInclude#... with my objects?
> >
> > I am somehow afraid that in the future makers of XInclude standard may also
> > want to use http://www.w3.org/2001/XInclude#... namespaces and this may
> > conflict or mess with my node subjects.
> >
> > What node subjects would you recommend to use?
> >

> No.  That is known as namespace squatting:
> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-rdf-interest/2000Sep/0162.html

While I agree with the logic, there are cases where people re-use
non-RDF namespaces when its arguable that they are being used in the
obvious way. IIRC, RDF use of XML Schema Datatypes preceded
https://www.w3.org/TR/swbp-xsch-datatypes/ by a couple years. So
before you appropriate an XML namespace you should ask yourself if
anyone could rationally have a different interpretation. Then ask
yourself that a couple more times, pester some folks around you, float
it as a strawman, and be prepared to say "oh yeah, I guess I have a
special perspective on this not shared by others." I take your email
to this list as floating it as a strawman so you're already down the
path.

If your use of the namespace is not the one-and-only obvious one, you
can create a document somewhere and use that as the namespace. If you
have write access on a server with content negotiation, you can even
make it so GET of the namespace with Accept: text/turtle (or the like)
yields an RDF schema defining the terms in your vocabulary. Those
terms could be a mechanical transformation from terms defined in the
XML vocabulary, e.g.

http://server.example/ns/xinc-xform#include
http://server.example/ns/xinc-xform#fallback

If you get sufficient community support (a W3C Community Group is a
good way to do that), you can suggest to the staff that it be hosted
at http://www.w3.org/ns and lay out evidence that you have consensus
with the broader community and that the XInclude folks don't object.

--
-eric

office: +1.617.258.5741 32-G528, MIT, Cambridge, MA 02144 USA
mobile: +1.617.599.3509

(eric@w3.org)
email address distribution.