Re: Blank Nodes Re: Toward easier RDF: a proposal

> On 3 Dec 2018, at 23:10, Anthony Moretti <anthony.moretti@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Cheers for agreeing William. On the topic of incomplete blank nodes Henry I'd give them another type, the partial address example you give I'd give the type AddressComponent, or something to that effect. I could be wrong, but it's not a valid Address if it's a blank node and no other information in the graph completes it.

So saying that you know a Person without specifying all their family tree all the way to
Adam and Eve would be incomplete information then! 8‑0

A database can get corrupted and information go missing. Knowing that there was a relation
from a to b to c without knowing b but knowing that b lived at a certain street, might
allow you to find the missing information.

This is exactly the role existential quantifiers play. They allow us to make a statement
without specifying the object precisely, but require us then to be committed to accepting
that the graph will be true when the blank node is replaced at one point by the correct
name.

In a way you can get this in OO programming by allowing every object's value to be null,
but then you end up with a lot of if then statements, unless you have some monadic null.
In a way I find RDF here a lot more satisfactory as it takes incomplete information into
account.

Henry