Re: Canonical URIs for regional variants in multilingual dataset

From: Andy Mabbett <andy@pigsonthewing.org.uk>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2017 14:18:20 +0100
To: "semantic-web@w3.org Web" <semantic-web@w3.org>
[resending, to the list this time!]

On 14 September 2017 at 12:50, Ghislain Atemezing
<auguste.atemezing@eurecom.fr> wrote:

> I am looking for canonical URIs to represent regional variants in a
> multilingual dataset.
> Fo example, I want to be able to use all the variants of Spanish say
> es-XX(e.g., es-MX for Mexican variant for Spanish), or English (e.g.,
> en-CA).
> I was looking around, specially in the Library of Congress endpoint [1], but
> I am not able to have such URIs for geographical/regional variants.
>
> Any thoughts or pointers very much appreciated!

Use Wikidata.

For example, for es-MX:

   https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q616620

and note this property within that page:

   https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q616620#P305

If an item doesn't already exist there, you can create (and populate,
so far as you are able) one.

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing