Re: What Happened to the Semantic Web?

Sean,

SPARQL is literally "RDF query language", so I don't know why you say it is
not based on RDF?

As for result outputs, you mention XML, JSON, CSV etc. Which is true -- but
for ASK and SELECT results only. I think you've missed out on the other 2
forms, which return RDF graph as the result: DESCRIBE and CONSTRUCT.
https://www.w3.org/TR/sparql11-query/#describe
https://www.w3.org/TR/sparql11-query/#construct

Homoiconicity is an important concept, and often overlooked. But expecting
SPARQL to be expressed (by default) as RDF is like expecting SQL queries to
be expressed as tables.

That said, there is a syntax that allows exactly that -- SPIN SPARQL
syntax: http://spinrdf.org/sp.html
And then there is a constraint/rule modelling vocabulary that goes on top
of it: http://spinrdf.org/spin.html

SPIN is probably one of the most useful non-W3C specifications for RDF. We
use it to define queries for Linked Data Templates:
https://atomgraph.github.io/Linked-Data-Templates/#operations

Hope that clarifies some things.

Martynas
atomgraph.com