RE: The use of https: IRIs on the semantic web

I would wholeheartedly support using a https namespace for a new ontology, coupled with a longevity-secured location. With https://letsencrypt.org/ there is not really an excuse today to have a non-encrypted web service, even for experimental work.

Probably the biggest real danger with https:// namespace is that someone will forget to renew the SSL certificates (or recently; SSL clients require higher encryption quality) and the vocabulary becomes “inaccessible”.

SSL expiry is however not as bad as expiry of a custom domain name for the ontology (bad idea), as at least there are technical ways to bypass the expiry warnings.

The JSON-LD community has gone with https from day one, as nobody wants their @context resolution to be vulnerable, or to not work from a https:// web application.

Thus I find that vocabularies using PURLs with a https://w3id.org/ registered namespace are pretty much always on https – although some of them redirect to an insecure http location (a redirection I know Java’s URL support will protest against) or may have accidentally used http://w3id.org/ in their declared namespaces. Here are some of them (where people added a accompanying README): https://github.com/perma-id/w3id.org/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=ontology&type=

--
Stian Soiland-Reyes, eScience Lab
School of Computer Science, The University of Manchester