Re: sameAs.org

Hi,

> On 8 Feb 2017, at 12:42, Andy Mabbett <andy@pigsonthewing.org.uk> wrote:
>
> On 8 February 2017 at 09:00, Neubert, Joachim <J.Neubert@zbw.eu> wrote:
>
>> I wonder if Wikidata's notability criteria (https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Notability)
>> prohibits to use it as a linking hub for less famous people, institutions etc.
>
> Possibly, there are still some grey areas around Wikdiata's notability
> policy; but I don't know SameAs' policy, so can't compare.
Yeah, Wikidata is pretty useless for authors.
As far as I can tell it has much the same problems as Wikipedia for notability.
I say "problems", because it means it lacks a lot of stuff that is well-documented, but not "notable", so I can't find what I want. The most glaring of these is authors of books.
It even threw away all that information when it transferred the data from Freebase.
(I know, because I got lost! :-) )

> Some people argue that the existence of a third-party identifier is
> sufficient to justify an entry in Wikidata.
I would certainly agree with that.
If it can't include the same set of people with Library of Congress entries, for example, then it can never be the comprehensive source that is the first choice.
Anyway, enough of slagging off Wikidata (sorry!).

>> To give an example: I suppose that it would be not considered ok if I would add a Wikidata item just to
>> connect my ORCID (http://orcid.org/0000-0002-8086-185X), my GND (http://d-nb.info/gnd/1019110708)
>> and perhaps my Google Scholar (http://scholar.google.de/citations?user=Ba4-kfkAAAAJ) identities.
>
> Can you do that in SameAs?
You can now :-)