Re: Best practices for versioning and documenting ontologies for Sem Web

Hi,

thanks for you feedback, please see below:

On 06.02.2017 17:59, Jean-Marc Vanel wrote:

> I've looked at Vocol, and it's too complex to install as a server, the
> mere length of the install pages is frightening. But it certainly has
> good tools

Actually you can install VoCol using two easy options:
- Docker instructions: https://hub.docker.com/r/lavdim/vocol/
- Vagrant instructions:
https://github.com/vocol/vocol#installation-using-a-virtual-machine-image-vagrant-box

> I thought of a simple pre-commit that would use *rapper* to validate
> the Turtle syntax, and translate to N-Triples format, plus possibly
> applying the sort command to prevent re-ordering of the triples by
> tools like Protégé .
> Protégé and certainly other tools can read the N-Triples format, after
> all it's Turtle also.

Yes, we implemented it in a similar way, first we check for syntax
validation (in case of syntactic errors, the commit is canceled and the
user is notified with a detailed error description provided by rapper),
then a unique serialization using the RDF-toolkit is provided always
preserving turtle format (because of its readability required by some
ontology engineers who prefer to work directly on "source"). All these
services are integrated into VoCol and user doesn't have to install any
other tool.

> Using sorted N-Triples format, which is kind of canonical format, aims
> at avoiding non-significant differences in git versioning. But I admit
> that it does not work if tools renames blank nodes.

Agree, this is a point where additional work is required to deal with
blank nodes in order to keep away from false-positive conflicts.

If you have any question/need for support during installation of VoCol
or later issues, please write us.

Best,
Lavdim