Re: With footnotes (was Re: Open Access to Journal of Web Semantics (JWS))

Congrats for that getting this nearly open access policy. My opinion is
that this is about as much as we can expect from for-profit academic
publishers, and I would like to congratulate Ian and the rest for getting
these concessions out of Elsevier. So, I can go back to reviewing for this
journal - and I do think high quality peer review is important, and see
good reason for keeping it anonymized.

In terms of the rest of the complaints, it should be obvious the academic
publishing world is for profit with all that entails. Nonetheless, this is
better than 99% of the rest.

In terms of RDF dogfooding, there are unsolved  practical problems ranging
from the failure of MathML in modern browsers (i.e. why scientific
publishing uses LaTeX) to the long history of having difficulty with RDF
uptake in general. I wish good luck to anyone trying to solve these
problems that have been outstanding for about two decades.

If one doesn't use mathematics or academic peer revuew, and wants to
experiment with the magic of RDF, perhaps digfooding a blog is more
productive than complaining about CFPs. Once a great system works and is
production ready, I am sure there would be a sympathetic response from
academics and publishers.

   Yours,
      Harry