Re: DISCLAIMER (was Re: [CfP] Journal of Web Semantics (JWS) - Special Issue on Ontology Engineering)

While normally I consider the desire to publish scientific papers in HTML
as quite silly given the lack of support of MathML by major browsers and
the need to use LateX in computer science, I agree the scientific community
- especially the Semantic Web community, a community in theory devoted to
open data - should refuse to publish or review in Elsevier journals given
their particularly atrocious track record, including support of SOPA/PIPA
etc. in the past:

For more, see the Elsevier boycott:
http://michaelnielsen.org/polymath1/index.php?title=Journal_publishing_reform

Note in response to the boycott, Elsevier now has open access journals.
Obviously the Web Semantics journal could become an Open Access journal:

https://www.elsevier.com/about/open-science/open-access/open-access-journals

Why is it not?

 Now both Elsevier and Springer has a somewhat absurd but better 'pay for
open access model' and DeGruyter has open access for *everyone* without
payment policies.

I am going to point out that sadly the W3C has DRM in its use-cases for
Digital Publishing though in order to enforce paywalls (even for articles
published in HTML), and I believe this is something, just like the
Encrypted Media Extensions, that open data advocates and Semantic Web
groups should push back against heavily in any so-called "Open Web"
standard in order to keep DRM out of the actual use-cases.

https://www.w3.org/dpub/IG/wiki/UseCase_Directory

It is now euphemistically called "Escalating Trust" in the W3C use-case
document. I am sure EFF and friends will notice this quite quickly:
http://w3c.github.io/dpub-pwp-ucr/publishing-snapshots/FPWD/Overview.html#escalating_trust

  yours,
      harry