Re: Keeping the Faith

Tim's vision is as great as ever,
but all the data silos like FB , G+, LI resist the move to Linked Data,
because this would mean a change in their data based business.

That's the social network side of things, where Solid is laying down good
foundations.

On the side of institutions data (state, museum, etc) LOD is strong.

The weak side of the semantic web is certainly in the software tools. But
this is a domain where progress is possible.
We have quite low level tools like SPARQL databases, parsers, etc. But we
lack a lot of tools that SQL has, like
- data administration
- web frameworks
- ETL

We need for each programming language a SPARQL and LOD based web framework
like there are for SQL: Ruby on Rails, Django, Simfony, Play! ... This will
allow to leverage on the assets of semantic web: reusable data and data
models.
Currently alas the RDF community is like louse eating on the back of SQL
data; we need to build RDF data directly from 100% RDF applications.

Another field where SW and SPARQL databases would shine, given some
attention and tests, is enterprise data;
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_management
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_data_management
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Business_intelligence

After all, SPARQL databases are graph databases, but standarded by the W3C,
and graph databases are already established in this field.

Hope these hints will cheer up Brant :) .

--
Jean-Marc Vanel
http://www.semantic-forms.cc:9111/display?displayuri=http://jmvanel.free.fr/jmv.rdf%23me