Re: Problems and Opportunities at purl.org

For those interested in PURL.org and the topic of persistent identifiers, I
just received the following notice from OCLC and archive.org. There is a
new interface provided for maintaining PURLs again via their new home at
the Internet Archive...

---------------------------------------

Hello,

We are writing to let you know about some changes to the administration
system
for the PURL redirection service. PURLs are persistent URLs, they provide a
permanent address for resources on the web. The PURL service has a new home
at
the Internet Archive.

The addresses for the PURL redirects will not change, they will continue to
be
hosted on http://purl.org

The operation of the service will remain the same with purl.org URL's
redirecting as before.

However this change brings with it a new interface for changing PURLs. User
management is now handled by the Internet Archive. We have created an
account
for you with the e-mail address <blocked>, but for security reasons it is
not possible to copy your old password.

Once you have reset your password you can make changes to your PURLs by
visiting:

    http://archive.org/services/purl/

If you have any questions you can contact us by replying to this e-mail.

You will find  more information on the background to this move here:
https://www.oclc.org/news/releases/2016/201623dublin.en.html

>From the PURL team at the Internet Archive

Advanced Distributed Learning Initiative
+1.850.266.7100(office)
+1.850.471.1300 (mobile)
jhaag75 (skype)
http://linkedin.com/in/jasonhaag